Categories
News

Problem of fly tipping in Ennis

ENNIS Town Council is considering the introduction of waste byelaws to combat the problem of illegal dumping around the town.

Councillors and officials are to meet with members of Clare County Council’s Environment Section to see if the byelaws could be introduced on a countywide basis.

It follows a motion submitted by Fine Gael councillor Johnny Flynn at yesterday’s meeting of Ennis Town Council.

Cllr Flynn stated that household waste byelaws are needed, as nearly 50 per cent of Clare householders do not avail of a waste collection service. He told the meeting that the problem of fly tipping and dumping has become too prevalent in and around Ennis.

He said that 47,000 tonnes of waste are produced in Clare each year. Cllr Flynn added, “People should be responsible and should deal with their waste in a responsible manner.”

He said Ennis had been “badly affected” by fly tipping while dumping is “destroying” the approach roads into the town.

There was broad support for the proposal from all councillors present at yesterday’s meeting.

Cllr Frankie Neylon (Ind) described the motion as timely, adding that he had seen 80 plastic bags of rubbish in the garden of one house in Ennis.

Cllr Mary Coote Ryan (FG) said the amount of household rubbish being dumped is “shocking”.

Cllr Paul O’Shea (Lab) said that while byelaws might be necessary, the council had to be careful not to target people who bring their rubbish directly to the dump because they can longer afford to pay for a waste collection service.

Cllr Mary Howard (FG) said it is “dreadful” to see people dumping rubbish in fields and roads around Ennis. She suggested that in order to help people who can’t afford to pay for waste collection, the council should place public skips at locations around the town.

However there were objections to this proposal. Cllr Peter Considine (FF) said skips in town had previously become dumps.

Cllr Tommy Brennan (Ind) said that while byelaws are a good idea, he was “wary” of the proposal. Cllr Brennan told the meeting that a lot of the rubbish dumping in Ennis, is not being done by people from the town.

Categories
News

‘Bedlam’ outside the courtroom

TWO men have apologised for their actions following scenes of “bedlam” outside a courtroom in Ennis last week.

Thomas Molloy (20) and Darren Maughan (20) were detained in holding cells at Ennis Courthouse for three hours on Wednesday after being held in contempt of court by Judge Patrick Durcan.

The court heard that both men became involved in a noisy altercation outside the courtroom as Judge Durcan presided over court business.

Following instructions from Judge Durcan, both men were brought back into the court.

He told them that he was holding them both in contempt. The two men were brought back before the court shortly after 2pm.

Referring to the manner in which the earlier incident had impacted on court business, Judge Durcan said, “It was impossible here because of the bedlam outside.”

He said the matter could be satisfactorily dealt with if both men apologised to all services involved in court business.

Thomas Molloy, with an address at 39 Park Avenue, Clon Road, Ennis said, “It should not have happened. I apologise to everyone.”

Darren Maughan, with an address at 20 Stonecourt, Drumbiggle, Ennis, said, “I apologise for the incident this morning. It won’t happen again.”

Both Mr Molloy and Mr Maughan were originally in court to face separate charges.

Mr Molloy pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal damage. The court heard that he broke a downstairs window of 8 Upper Market Street on January 1, 2012.

Inspector Tom Kennedy said the total value of the damage came to € 227. Solicitor Daragh Hassett said his client had broken the window in his girlfriend’s apartment in a “fit of pique”. He said Mr Molloy, the first person in a family of 17 to complete his Leaving Certificate, was sorry for his actions.

Judge Durcan ordered that he carry out 100 hours of community service in lieu of two months in prison. He adjourned the matter until April 25.

Separately, Mr Maughan pleaded guilty to two public order offences – being intoxicated in a public place and being a danger to himself and to others, and, to provoking a breach of the peace. The charges relate to an incident at Abbey Street, Ennis on March 10, 2012.

Insp Kennedy said the accused was very intoxicated when he was ap proached by Gardaí. Solicitor William Cahir said his client accepted his behaviour was unacceptable. He said Mr Maughan “struggles with alcohol” but now appeared to be keeping on top of the battle.

Judge Durcan ordered he carry out 100 hours of community service in lieu of two months in prison. He adjourned the matter until May 2 for the preparation of a report by the probation and welfare services. A we e k o f m o st ly dry b u t d u ll a n d fre sh we a t h e r, with te m ps we ll be lo w t h e pa st we e k’s glo rio u s sp e ll. Ra in a n d a lo t o f it , e xp e c t e d e a rly n e xt we e k.

Categories
News

More Garda station closures predicted

CLARE’S most westerly Garda Station closed at the weekend.

The West Clare village of Carrigaholt is now without a Garda Station for the first time since the formation of the force.

The station in the Kilrush Garda district was one of 29 nationally to close at the weekend, and the only station in County Clare to be vacated under the current cuts.

H o w e v e r Garda Chief S u p e r i n t e n d ent John Kerins predicted further closures in the coming years, during the January meeting of the Joint Policing Committee (JPC).

The small village station in Carrigaholt fell victim to a drop in Garda personnel due to an employment freeze and mass retirements, and the ever-tightening Garda budget.

The Carrigaholt area will continue to be patrolled by gardaí from Kilrush and Kilkee.

Meanwhile the chief superintendent, in conjunction with the local superintendent – Gerry Wall, are planning to reassign gardaí from Kilrush to the smaller sub-stations in the area on a part-time basis. These gardaí will man the stations, such as Labasheeda and Doonbeg, at advertised hours a few days a week. Chief Supt Kerins reassured members of the JPC that he did not believe the policing service would be affected. Gardaí have also highlighted the importance of community and neighbourhood watch schemes in rural areas.

Categories
News

Clare house builds drop by half on last year

THE number of people building new houses in Clare has dropped by almost a half in the last year.

During January and February 2011 81 planning applications were submitted to Clare’s three planning authorities – Clare County Council, Ennis Town Council and Kilrush Town Council.

In the same period this year, that number had dropped to 46 applications in total.

This is a 43 per cent drop, the second largest decrease in the country.

However there has been a three per cent rise in the number of commencement notices issued in Clare.

According to the new National Housing Construction Index complied and issued by Link2Plans Clare is experiencing a significant decrease in construction activity.

Link2Plans National Housing Construction Index has shown huge variations nationally in housing construction activity and that housing extensions now make up the majority of active projects.

Produced by a team of researchers the new National Housing Construction Index relates to all Planning Applications and Planning Commencements throughout the months of January and February 2012 and gives a direct comparison with the same period in 2011.

The detailed index shows the overall national trend, and highlights the counties that have seen a significant rise or significant fall. The index shows huge variations in activity from county to county, with Clare and Kildare showing the second largest drop in planning applications.

Managing director of Link2Plans, Danny O’Shea said, “Construction related statistics tend to be up to six months out of date which limits their usefulness to those working in the sector. Our new National Housing Construction Index shows clear and current patterns and indications of activity in every county in Ireland. Link2Plans will issue this index on a bi-monthly basis and it will provide a solid and reliable resource for people in the industry in Clare, economic commentators and professionals who service the sector.”

Categories
News

Masterplan for Watery Road

TWO local authorities have announced their intentions to draw up a master plan to re-develop the Watery Road area of Ennis.

The plan is to be drawn up in response to concerns over local authority housing in the area. Yesterday’s meeting of Ennis Town Council heard that of the six houses on Watery Road, two are occupied while four are vacant and boarded up.

Both Ennis Town Council and Clare County Council are to meet with landowners to discuss the plan.

In a letter to the council, Fiona Mooney Acting Senior Executive Officer, Housing, Cultural and Emergency Services with Clare County Council, outlined the council’s intention for the area.

She stated, “As discussed this council considers that a long term and sustainable resolution to the various housing, community and environmental issues must be developed. It is the intention of the Housing Department to assign an architectural resource in quarter two of 2012 to begin with a process of developing a Master Plan for the Watery Road area.”

Ms Mooney continued, “This proposed Master Plan will facilitate inputs from adjacent landowners, Clare County Council, Ennis Town Council and local resident’s groups. It is proposed that the Master Plan, once developed, will be presented to both Clare County Council and En- nis Town Council for consideration and incorporation into the Ennis and Environs Development Plan.”

Town clerk Leonard Cleary told the meeting that of the six local authority houses, two are occupied while four are currently vacant.

He said that Clare County Council is currently in the process of preparing a submission for the Department of the Environment to seek funding for the plan.

Mr Cleary described the process as “fairly complex” but said a commitment had been made to move on the plan by April. He said, “The current arrangement and provision is not satisfactory.” Welcoming the plan, Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) said residents in the Watery Road area had “put up with a lot” over the years.

Categories
News

Burren pilgrimage walk at Easter

FOR many people in North Clare and beyond, the dawn masses conducted annually at Corcomroe Abbey by the late John O’Donoghue were the highlight of the Easter period.

The masses, which attracted huge attendances, represented O’Donoghue’s way of connecting religion with local tradition, culture and the environment that he knew like no other.

The tradition started by O’Donoghue was sadly abandoned in 2001 because of the outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease and hasn’t been revived since, but for those who are spiritually minded and into their exercise, there are the Heart of the Burren Walks that combine both.

The first event took place in January when walkers travelled St Colman McDuagh’s Way, while in March it was the turn to pay homage to St Patrick with a walk along the Burren Way that was interspersed with commentary about St Patricks’ connection with the landscape.

This Easter Sunday it’s the turn of the ‘Monks and Pilgrims’ in the Bur- ren Landscape Walk. The walk is being organized by Tony Kirby, the author of The Bur ren a nd the Ara n Isla nds – a Wa lking Guide , who also operates Heart of the Burren Walks.

“It will be a half-day long walk at an easy pace with the high point being the visit to a remarkable monastic site and pilgrimage station,” says Kirby.

“Highlights will include a rich complex of penitential stations, holy wells, rare reliquary shrines and an Early Medieval (400-100 AD) chapel with successive Romanesque ornamentation.

“The narrative will focus on the golden age of Irish art (400-1100 AD), the story of pilgrimage in Ireland and the enduring fascination of holy wells as places of public worship. The Burren region boasts about 45 wells. Stone, soil, soul, saints, sinners, pilgrims, poetry, penitents and purgatory will feature,” adds Kirby.

The walk takes place at 10am on Easter Sunday and lasts two and half hours. More information at 087 2925487 and www.heartof burrenwalks.com, with pre-booking essential for those who want to take part.

Categories
News

Support for the silent disease

TWO West Clare women are setting up a support group for people suffering from the little known condition fibromyalgia.

The condition, which is on the arthritis spectrum, affects people physically, mentally and socially.

Support from other people with the condition is essential for those who believe they are suffering alone, and up until now no such support group has existed in the county.

When Doonbeg woman Bernie Sexton was diagnosed with the condition she had never heard of it before.

She believes it affected her for many years before she sought treatment and then took another year for doctors to diagnose fibromyalgia. Ms Sexton explained that it is a very difficult condition to diagnose as it does not present in blood tests or x-rays.

It is also a very individual condition affecting everyone differently.

This can make it very difficult to explain to others and for others to sympathise she said.

Chronic pains in the muscles, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points are just some of the symptoms that affect those with the condition.

Bernie’s symptoms made it difficult for her to continue working so she retrained as a librarian, a job she finds allows her to move when she needs to and sit when it is required.

“I found when I was diagnosed I was very isolated. I would have loved to have had a group in the early days,” she said. Bernie was not alone in her belief that a support group was needed in the county.

Margaret Labrum was having the same idea and together the women are setting up the West Clare fibromyalgia support group, which will service the whole county.

Ms Labrum, who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2008, said the support group would not only raise awareness of the condition but also provide information, support and shared experiences among members.

She said for many people at the beginning it feels like they are going insane, as their symptoms don’t add up. She like many with fibromyalgia, has chronic pain, which can prevent her from living her life the way she would like.

“You can go at that level for a while and be fine and then something triggers a flair up and the pain is too much to carry on.”

The first meeting of the group will take place at 11am in the Kilrush Family Resource Centre on April 19 and all are welcome to attend. Further information is available from the founders of the group on 087 838 3499 or 087 6528769.

Categories
News

Titanic role for West Clare Rail

SCENES from a new docu-drama about the Titanic to be aired this week will seem more than a bit familiar to West Clare People.

While the 45-minute film is based on the true story of a County Mayo village that lost more than a dozen people aboard the Titanic, part of the filming took place in Moyasta, County Clare.

The refurbished West Clare railway station was used for one of the most poignant scenes, depicting the young people aged 17 to 32 leaving Castlebar station for the boat.

The docu-drama has been aired in Canada on CBC already and will be shown for the first time on Irish television screens on Good Friday, April 6, at 8pm.

Entitled “Waking the Titanic” the film is produced by Gillian Marsh.

All of the actors but one are amateurs and local.

Categories
News

Book launch for Clare essayist

A NEW book of essays by Clare man and former diplomat, Con Howard, was recently launched in Dublin.

Mr Howard, who is credited with helping create close ties between Ireland and influential American politicians such as Ted Kennedy, was honoured at an event in the Arts Club, Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin, last month. The book was launched by retired diplomat Sean Donlon.

Originally from Dysert, Mr Howard attended St Flannan’s College before joining the diplomatic corps. Apart from his career in the civil service, Mr Howard is well known for founding the Merriman Summer School, the St Brendan Society and the Irish Australian Society.

Friend and Clare-based poet, Brian Mooney, who attended the book launch in Dublin, said Mr Howard was a man of “brilliant ideas”. He continued, “In all cases he had a knack of co-opting appropriate people of money and influence to the cause thus enabling the projects to flourish. Thus Ted Heath, the English Prime Minister, was coopted to the Brendan Society. Sidney Nolan, the artist, became one of the main drivers of the Irish Australian Society. And Con himself was instrumental in having him present a ‘Wild Goose’ collection of his paintings to the nation which now hang in the Museum of Modern Art.”

He added, “His courting of the great and the famous led to things of greater moment. For example, Sean Donlon deemed his work in cultivating people like (Ted) Kennedy and Tip O’Neill in America as responsible for the special relationship that now exists between Ireland and the White House. And he also credited him with creating the aura within which the whole new relationship between Ireland and England has taken place, as a result of his work in the consulate in England.”

Mr Mooney said, “To become involved with Con Howard was an experience people would never forget. One of the essayists suggests in the book that the Irish Government should declare a two minute period of pandemonium on the anniversary of his death!”

Categories
News

16 teaching posts to be lost in Clare

THE majority of Clare secondary schools will lose at least one teacher next September, resulting in the subject choices available to students being cut and class sizes increasing.

The Teachers’ Union of Ireland (TUI) warned that approximately 16 full-time teaching posts will be lost in second-level Clare schools as a result of changes to guidance counselling provisions introduced in the last Budget.

From September, guidance counsellors will have to be provided from within the general teaching provisions of the school.

TUI President and Clare woman Bernie Ruane said, “These cuts will leave school principals with some harsh choices. They will have to choose between cutting back guidance provision, limiting subject choice, increasing class sizes or a combination of such measures. This latest cut to an education system already ravaged by a litany of cuts will result in significant further damage to the interests of students.”

Ironically, this cut to teaching posts is most likely to affect the stem subjects (science, technology, engineering and maths) the Government say are paramount to the future of the economy.

The TUI maintains that as teacher numbers are being cut, principals will have to look at how best to serve all students with the reduced teaching provision available. Those options that currently attract less students for example, honours maths or physics – will inevitably be high on any shortlist of subjects under threat.

“The major threat is to subjects that we are being told to actively promote if education is to be a key driver in economic recovery,” Ms Ruane told